Table Manners in China are different from those in west countries. Below are some tips for your reference if have a chance to be a guest in Chinese family.
- In normal situation, all the dishes are lay out at the same time. However, in restaurants, hotels or in formal situations, dishes are served in order.
- Chinese people tend to prepare the excessive food to entertain everyone to show their hospitality to guests. You would better eat as much as you can.
- All the dishes are placed on the table and everybody shares them as you like.
- The Chinese host sometimes uses their chopsticks to put food in guests’ bowl or plate. This is a sign of politeness. You would better eat the whatever-it-is. If you feel uncomfortable with this, you can just say a polite thank you and leave the food there.
- Lay your chopsticks on your dish and never put it upright in the rice bowl. In China, people do that to worship to the decedent so that it is extremely impolite to the host.
- Do not leave the spout of the teapot facing anyone. Make sure it is directing to the place nobody sitting..